Robert Gifford has been involved in the Martial Arts since 1969. He began his studies with Sensei Michael Campos in Johnstown, New York and was promoted to First Degree Black Belt (Shodan) by Sensei Campos in 1975. In 1975, Sensei Gifford established schools in Potsdam, Ogdenburg and Massena, NY. In 1980, he established the Houston ZDK and in 1994, he founded Safety America Martial Arts Center in Sugar Land, TX.
Sensei Gifford is an established competitor, having won over 150 awards in weapons, forms, and sparring competitions. In 1985, he was rated 3rd in weapons (Texas/Louisiana) by Karate Illustrated Magazine.
He is presently the highest ranking black belt member of the Zen Do Kai Association, 8th degree Black Belt, and is also the Southwest Representative for the organization. Sensei Gifford also holds black belt certification in Kenpo (4th Dan) and Tae Kwon-Do (1st Dan). Sensei Gifford was the self-defense instructor for the Sugar Land – Citizens Police Academy for 10 years. He also served as a self-defense consultant for several major Houston based corporations.
• Director – Safety America [Robert Gifford Sugar Land Karate]
• 9th Degree Black Belt – Zen-Do Kai
• 4th Degree Black Belt – Kenpo
• 1st Degree Black Belt – Tae Kwon-Do
• 50 Years Experience Martial Arts
• ZDKMAA Southwest Representative
• Who’s Who in Karate – 1985
• Master Instructor Zen-Do Kai
• Director Practical Defense Systems
• Corporate Self-Defense Consultant (15 Companies)
• Self Defense Instructor: Sugar Land Police D.A.R.E. Program
• “Karate Illustrated” Rated Top (3) Weapons Competitor in Texas/Louisiana
• Zen-Do Kai National Champion 1985 & 1986